Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
drdef drdef is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Angry sad newbee with mini-9 - 08-01-2009, 07:08 AM

Hi
Bought the mini-9 with the intent of previewing a number of mini-video tapes and then use dazzle to edit and put them to DVD.

Heartache/heartbroke - of the 3 disk set, the first two disks installed perfectly and then the bad news started. Low on memory, increase size of pagefile etc. etc. etc.

Figured I'd start over clean and attempted to remove dazzle/pinnacle as instructed in their docs. Whoops - errors - cannot changee/delete registry entries; some files could not be removed (this will have to be done manually) :lol:

The list went on and on. I was at the point of wiping the system and starting over from scratch --- Dell tech support is a laughing matter. Not only were they not able to help ... the technician messed up the system worst than it was. And then he tells me that 8Gb is really not a large enough drive --- my response ??? why do you sell it ???

Anyway I was looking around the net for some info about the mini and perhaps a larger drive and stumbled upon this site. Seems I'm not the only sucker on the block that has disk size problems ... ohhh by the by, the Dell tech informed me that I could get a 16Gb drive for $154.00 IS THIS THING MADE OF GOLD???

I have read up on the PCIe/PATA SSD's and think I have a handle on their operation and possibly where to obtain same (want to see if I can find some specs). The picture I have from the Dell tech notes shows a picture of the drive and it SAID INTEL -- I/ve read in this forum that the intel specs were terrible.

Has anyone installed an OCZ drive? Would appreciate some heads up. I saw a 32Gb SSD for $90.00 ... I think a little pricy but if it will work and solve the size problems I will have to save my pennies.

Thanks in advance for any notes or advice or just some info. Sorry if I was so verbose but I thought that's what these forums are for.
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
Z4i Z4i is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 101
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Default 08-01-2009, 07:36 AM

The mini 9 is what's considered a netbook. It was never intended for video editing. It's inteded for chat, IM, browsing, and maybe skype. Video editing is considered explicitly out-of-purpose for this system.

An 8 GB SSD is big enough for an operating system, simple programs (browser, IM, etc, not entire software suites or heavy editing) frequently used files, and a decent number of favorite songs. SSD's are expensive compared to HDDs, but for the intended function of this computer, the SSD is a more sensible tool for the job (lower power use, more durable, shouldn't be swapping heavily, etc). The trade off is you get a small one to keep it affordable. But a netbook doesn't need a lot of hard drive space.

You may be able to use an external hard drive to store the videos you're working on, although that will be slower than using the included SSD. This would be cheaper than getting another SSD for it. You'd have to carry it with you though.

My recommendation would be to do your video editing on another computer.


Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
rwalsh.ae92 rwalsh.ae92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to rwalsh.ae92
Default 08-01-2009, 08:27 AM

yeah man, you dont get a mini to edit videos. thats what my desktop is for. i got the mini for school.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
drdef drdef is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default 08-01-2009, 04:48 PM

z4i
Glad to see that you are a Dell Tech agent. You did not read my original posting or you didn't understand - I will try again with simpler and smaller thoughts. By the way, if the mini-9 is not intended for a suite of programs WHY DID DELL INSTALL MICROSOFT WORKS??

A. I bought the mini-9 with the intent of viewing and indexing ON PAPER the start and stop times and the order of the film clips. Editing would be done on one of my systems that has the horsepower. Remember, the software I installed was simply for viewing and indexing. Video would only be viewed and not stored on the mini-9.

B. I attempted to install Dazzle and Pinnicle on the mini-9 - the install aborted because of lack of free disk space. I think the installer should have checked if there was enough room, it didn't but that is another story.

C. I uninstalled the software from the mini-9 but still had little free space. 7.23Gb were used by something. And their uninstaller left some remnants. (like a couple hundred Mb)

D. Dell tech support attempted to "fix my registry" in a chat - HAAA! They also removed a portion of works. Recommended another free uninstaller which I downloaded and put on a USB-HDD. That got a few files but I could still find remnants.

E. I checked the space on the mini-9 and found that there was 6.4Gb used MAINLY DUE TO DELL'S BLOATWARE. Also found that the normal Dell tech support doesn't handle the mini-9 *** there is a special team at another phone number which handles this.

FINALLY, what I attempted to do was to clean up everything. Install the viewing software on a USB (the old software would only install to C: -- the upgrade will allow installation to other places.

The operating system takes somewhere around 4Gb and other system files take up at least another 2Gb. Not much room for a lot of other things especially trial software and bloatware which Dell says they don't have a list of.

As it stands now, the system in my opinion is HOSED. Pinnacle did some, Dell did some and I did some. I believe that 8Gb is really pushing things for the XP-Home that came preinstalled.

I believe that this is a good product and could be even better if "cheap charlie" didn't get in the way. There should have been an option for at least a 16Gb drive but there wasn't.

I thank you for your info ... you state that 8Gb is enough "for an operating system" plus a few other things. You did not say that that system was XP-Home as preinstalled. Plus, remember Dell preinstalls the McAfee Security Suite.

Since you seem to be a fan of UNIX, did you know that it will run fine on the mini-9 right on top of XP (the one from Microsoft). Runs slow, but runs.

Now that I've rambled on. I believe the solution to my problem is to get a larger drive. The prices seem to vary widely for the 16Gb or 32Gb. Anyone have an idea of the best bang for the buck?

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
drdef drdef is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM

rwalsh
If you read my post I had no intent to EDIT the videos on the mini. The only purpose was to watch them and index points of interest and order in a paper notebook. I think my enterprise server and one of its nodes can do the editing.

Thanks for the intro ... good luck in school ... having our 50th reunion early next year. Stay with it, it is worth it.
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
kommissar kommissar is offline
Member
 
Posts: 91
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default 08-01-2009, 04:56 PM

drdef, i think you have an attitude problem. your insulting remarks to a valued member of our forum (z41) are unwarranted and unwelcome. why don't you take your arrogance somewhere else? the difficulties you are experiencing betray your lack of understanding of the tool you have before you.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
thundertracks thundertracks is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 322
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeast Pa. U.S.
Default Small SSD - 08-01-2009, 05:37 PM

You can try Ubuntu Netbook Remix for a system, that is free you can install it on a usb stick, I believe that is smaller than XP. I had that on my 9, ran well. That might help, depends how much space you need. Or get a small external drive as Z4i said. Also put an ad in the classifieds here for a 16 gb stec ssd, that would be the cheapest way to get a bigger drive. I only have an 8 gb ssd drive laying around. I agree small drives are a pain in the butt. It would also be a good idea to apologize to Z4i, he was only trying to help but probably misunderstood some of your post. This forum can be pretty valuable in getting the most out of your mini. You could also try reinstalling XP using I think it is called vlite, where you install XP being able to pick what you actually install on your drive, you end up with a very small amount of space used. check on this site for directions on how to do this. I never used it. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
WolfKeeper WolfKeeper is offline
Retired Mini user
 
WolfKeeper's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,575
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default 08-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdef View Post
And then he tells me that 8Gb is really not a large enough drive --- my response ??? why do you sell it ???
It's big enough for web browsing and e-mail and the occasional note taking.

It's not big enough for what you want to do. Simple.

The old analogy stands: don't buy a 2-door 4-cylinder compact when you want to tow a boat.

Dazzle on a netbook is overkill. If you want to just play back video use VLC. It's a whopping 17.2MB.

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player


Getting an iPad
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
Z4i Z4i is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 101
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Default 08-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdef View Post
z4i
Glad to see that you are a Dell Tech agent. You did not read my original posting or you didn't understand - I will try again with simpler and smaller thoughts. By the way, if the mini-9 is not intended for a suite of programs WHY DID DELL INSTALL MICROSOFT WORKS??
Works is an optional component actually. It's usually free from Dell if you want it. If you don't, you can select the radio button to not include it when configuring your system.

Quote:
A. I bought the mini-9 with the intent of viewing and indexing ON PAPER the start and stop times and the order of the film clips. Editing would be done on one of my systems that has the horsepower. Remember, the software I installed was simply for viewing and indexing. Video would only be viewed and not stored on the mini-9.
As another poster recommended, then, perhaps VLC is the right program for the job. Also your original post did not make clear that you did not intend to edit video on the Mini. Read the sentence one more time and see if you can realize how it may be misleading:

"...with the intent of previewing a number of mini-video tapes and then use dazzle to edit and put them to DVD."

You never mentioned another system coming into the picture, and later said that you were trying to install Dazzle and Pinnacle on the Mini. Given what you said, I don't think it was unfair to reason that you were trying to do video editing on your mini. I apologize for the misunderstanding but insulting me was not called for.

Quote:
B. I attempted to install Dazzle and Pinnicle on the mini-9 - the install aborted because of lack of free disk space. I think the installer should have checked if there was enough room, it didn't but that is another story.

C. I uninstalled the software from the mini-9 but still had little free space. 7.23Gb were used by something. And their uninstaller left some remnants. (like a couple hundred Mb)

D. Dell tech support attempted to "fix my registry" in a chat - HAAA! They also removed a portion of works. Recommended another free uninstaller which I downloaded and put on a USB-HDD. That got a few files but I could still find remnants.

E. I checked the space on the mini-9 and found that there was 6.4Gb used MAINLY DUE TO DELL'S BLOATWARE. Also found that the normal Dell tech support doesn't handle the mini-9 *** there is a special team at another phone number which handles this.
Typically after I get a new computer, I just reinstall the OS. I understand this is a bit more complicated with a Mini that has no optical drive, but I assume you've come across one somehow? Or are you not trying to install this software from CD?

Quote:
FINALLY, what I attempted to do was to clean up everything. Install the viewing software on a USB (the old software would only install to C: -- the upgrade will allow installation to other places.

The operating system takes somewhere around 4Gb and other system files take up at least another 2Gb. Not much room for a lot of other things especially trial software and bloatware which Dell says they don't have a list of.
I've installed Windows XP to a Qemu disk image of 2 GB and had hundreds of MB still available. The operating system itself isn't what takes up the full 4 gigs.

Quote:
As it stands now, the system in my opinion is HOSED. Pinnacle did some, Dell did some and I did some. I believe that 8Gb is really pushing things for the XP-Home that came preinstalled.
If you believe the system is hosed, I would recommend reinstalling Windows. Don't put McAfee back on there if you don't want it (I don't recommend it to anyone). A basic Windows XP install should be <2GB with all updates.

Quote:
I believe that this is a good product and could be even better if "cheap charlie" didn't get in the way. There should have been an option for at least a 16Gb drive but there wasn't.
Yes, there should have been, my Vostro came with a 16 GB SSD.

Quote:
I thank you for your info ... you state that 8Gb is enough "for an operating system" plus a few other things. You did not say that that system was XP-Home as preinstalled. Plus, remember Dell preinstalls the McAfee Security Suite.
Apparently it is enough for an operating system and a few other things, as long as Pinnacle is not one of those things added to the preinstalled OS. Space is already tight, and I don't know how much space Pinnacle uses but it would appear to be too much. I still think you may just be using the wrong system for this job.

Quote:
Since you seem to be a fan of UNIX, did you know that it will run fine on the mini-9 right on top of XP (the one from Microsoft). Runs slow, but runs.
SFU or SUA? Yes, I use it on my Windows 7 laptop. Windows is frustrating though, I'm gonna put Solaris back on here in a couple months. It's easier to troubleshoot full-blown Unix.

Quote:
Now that I've rambled on. I believe the solution to my problem is to get a larger drive. The prices seem to vary widely for the 16Gb or 32Gb. Anyone have an idea of the best bang for the buck?

Thanks for listening.
A larger SSD is just one solution, and not necessarily the best one. If you would like, you can reinstall Windows (you'd have to do it with another SSD anyways) and don't install the things you don't need, and try again. This may be all you need to do, saving you some $100 or so.

A mini is a special-purpose system trying to do generic things, so it may indeed require some special tailoring to make it suitable for your particular needs. Reinstalling Windows, I belive, is likely the extent of the specialization you'll need to do on it. After that you should have around 6GB of free space.


Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
rwalsh.ae92 rwalsh.ae92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jul 2009
Send a message via AIM to rwalsh.ae92
Default 08-02-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdef View Post
rwalsh
If you read my post I had no intent to EDIT the videos on the mini. The only purpose was to watch them and index points of interest and order in a paper notebook. I think my enterprise server and one of its nodes can do the editing.

Thanks for the intro ... good luck in school ... having our 50th reunion early next year. Stay with it, it is worth it.
ohh, i see. thats actually a good idea!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pata, pcie, ssd

« New, need direction and advice.... | mini 10 or 10v? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.