Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdef View Post
Hi
Bought the mini-9 with the intent of previewing a number of mini-video tapes and then use dazzle to edit and put them to DVD.

Heartache/heartbroke - of the 3 disk set, the first two disks installed perfectly and then the bad news started. Low on memory, increase size of pagefile etc. etc. etc.

Figured I'd start over clean and attempted to remove dazzle/pinnacle as instructed in their docs. Whoops - errors - cannot changee/delete registry entries; some files could not be removed (this will have to be done manually) :lol:

The list went on and on. I was at the point of wiping the system and starting over from scratch --- Dell tech support is a laughing matter. Not only were they not able to help ... the technician messed up the system worst than it was. And then he tells me that 8Gb is really not a large enough drive --- my response ??? why do you sell it ???

Anyway I was looking around the net for some info about the mini and perhaps a larger drive and stumbled upon this site. Seems I'm not the only sucker on the block that has disk size problems ... ohhh by the by, the Dell tech informed me that I could get a 16Gb drive for $154.00 IS THIS THING MADE OF GOLD???

I have read up on the PCIe/PATA SSD's and think I have a handle on their operation and possibly where to obtain same (want to see if I can find some specs). The picture I have from the Dell tech notes shows a picture of the drive and it SAID INTEL -- I/ve read in this forum that the intel specs were terrible.

Has anyone installed an OCZ drive? Would appreciate some heads up. I saw a 32Gb SSD for $90.00 ... I think a little pricy but if it will work and solve the size problems I will have to save my pennies.

Thanks in advance for any notes or advice or just some info. Sorry if I was so verbose but I thought that's what these forums are for.
You do realize that the Dell Mini 9 (or any netbook) does not meet the minimum specifications to run even a basic entry-level video editing program like Dazzle right?

By Dell offering you only an 8 GB SSD, they were doing you a favor! Most people here will upgrade their SSD to either the Runcore 32 GB or 64 GB drive because the STEC SSDs are too slow.

You saved money by not being forced to buy your DM9 with the more expensive 16 GB or 32 GB SSD. The Runcore 32 GB SSD only costs $120. Do the math!

A slow SSD drive isn't a big deal if all you're doing is surfing the internet. This was and has always been the ONLY intention of a netbook.

What's unique about the Dell Mini 9 is its hardware is absolutely perfect for installing Mac OS X without any hiccups. If you do some more browsing of these forums, you'll notice that most DM9 owners have upgraded their hardware in order to run Mac OS X.

But the same could be said of anyone wanting to use their DM9 as mini-PCs. That is, run Microsoft Office, play some mainstream games, view DVDs, and surf the Internet. Your DM9 in its current configuration cannot do this!

You weren't suckered into anything! You own an enterprise server but you didn't realize that 8 GB was barely enough to install Windows XP?

timsdonuts
  (#12) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
It's big enough for web browsing and e-mail and the occasional note taking.

It's not big enough for what you want to do. Simple.

The old analogy stands: don't buy a 2-door 4-cylinder compact when you want to tow a boat.

Dazzle on a netbook is overkill. If you want to just play back video use VLC. It's a whopping 17.2MB.

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

I agree - I love VLC to death... it does the job remarkably and is small footprint too...
  (#13) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 08-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsdonuts View Post
By Dell offering you only an 8 GB SSD, they were doing you a favor! Most people here will upgrade their SSD to either the Runcore 32 GB or 64 GB drive because the STEC SSDs are too slow.
No they aren't, IMO. I have a STEC SSD and it runs Windows 7 just fine. Ran OS X when I tested a few months ago just fine as well.

Getting an iPad
  (#14) Old

Default 08-07-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
I agree - I love VLC to death... it does the job remarkably and is small footprint too...

I agree!

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse

Tags
pata, pcie, ssd

« New, need direction and advice.... | mini 10 or 10v? »