Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New 10v Questions on display and wireless - 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Hey everyone,

First post on what appears to be a great site for info - so please have patience.

I just got my new 10v running XP yesterday and I am not impressed with two issues - I want to find out if they are specific to my machine or something you have to live with with this dell.

1) Display problems = I tried to update to the latest driver for my video card but the update would not work (error copying files??). I find my icons too large and the display not sharp specifically the icons are jagged. The display is set to 1024x600 and dpi 120. Also many of the windows are larger than the screen size so I am unable to see ok or cancel (I have seen a few posts on here regarding that). The only other option I have for display size is 800x600.

My question is really is this normal? The Dell tech spent two hours trying to tweak my display so that it was sharper and I could see the windows without resizing and he had no luck. He suggested I could get a replacement machine sent to me hoping to fix the "issue".

2) Wireless Card problems = I am able to connect to my wireless router (DLink DIR 615 which is N capable) but only at really slow speeds. Even if I am right next to the router. The Tech changed my settings to G only and it actually seemed to increase the speed. Does this make sense? Obviously I would like to use N if possible. The wireless card shows that it is using the latest version and my router's firmware is up to date.

As a point of reference I had an HP mini home a few weeks ago and had really fast connection to my router with just a G card.

Can anyone help? Do I have a dud machine? Should I take Dell up on the offer to send me a replacement?

Very frustrating first impression.
  (#2) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 01:21 PM

If you're dissatisfied, I'd let them replace it. I have the other version with the 1024x576 panel, and I don't have issues like that with any jagged lines.

I also have the 1510 wireless card, and I don't have any issues like you're having. It works fine for me, so maybe you do just have a dud.

Dell Mini 10v - WinXP/OSX 10.5.8 Dual Boot
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 07-28-2009, 01:23 PM

I'm not a fan of increasing DPI to increase icon/window/font sizes, unless you have a large monitor. That being said, trying to run 120DPI on a 1024x600 (or worse 576) is probably going to frustrate anyone. I just tried 120DPI on my wife's Mini and I don't see any "blurring". I understand the windows being bigger, but that's to be expected.

As for the wireless card problems, it's been my experience that some wireless cards do not play well (or as well) as others with wireless access points due to inconsistencies with coding. I had nothing but problems with my Netgear access point when I got my Mini 9. I replaced it with another brand and now it works great.

Getting an iPad

« just joined | Can a 10v handle a Scorpio Blue 400gb drive »