Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Running Ubuntu, want to double memory - 11-22-2008, 11:35 AM

I'm running the Ubuntu 8.04 OS that came with my Mini 9. If I replace the 1 GB dimm with a 2 GB dimm, will
Ubuntu automatically adjust for the new memory size like Windows or do I have to reinstall Ubuntu?

Bob
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Running Ubuntu, want to double memory - 11-22-2008, 01:09 PM

I have Ubuntu 8.10 with 2GB of memory. I upgraded from 1GB after installing the 8.10 and have no problem with see the extra memory.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Running Ubuntu, want to double memory - 11-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbiker
I have Ubuntu 8.10 with 2GB of memory. I upgraded from 1GB after installing the 8.10 and have no problem with see the extra memory.
Thanks texbiker.

Another question. Did you do an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, or
a fresh install? Any problems?

Bob
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: Running Ubuntu, want to double memory - 11-22-2008, 03:54 PM

The version of Ubuntu Hardy that comes with the Mini has 2 issues at the moment.

1. The kernel can not see more than 1GB of RAM. This will be resolved when Dell puts a new kernel into their APT repository with support for "high memory."

2. You CAN'T upgrade to Intrepid from the version of Ubuntu installed on the Mini because Intrepid does not exist in the Dell APT repositories at this time and all the packages are compiled for LPIA (Low Power Intel Architecture). So you could not even use the regular Ubuntu repositories to do the update.

You can do a complete reinstall of Intrepid if you like. There are how-tos on this forum for getting the Ubuntu iso image on to a USB stick to do the install if you do not have a USB DVD to connect.

I would just stick with the version of the Mini. It works just fine with 1GB of RAM and is optimized to run on this platform

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Running Ubuntu, want to double memory - 11-22-2008, 04:14 PM

I bought my Mini 9 in the outlet store with Windows XP with the intent to replace Windows XP with Ubuntu. At the time 8.10 had not officially released so I installed 8.04 and then a few days later upgraded to 8.10. While getting the wireless to work in 8.04 was a chore in 8.10 it was an easy event. I only booted up in Windows 1 or 2 times before I erased the drive. I did divide the drive into two partitions so the /home directory would be separate from the OS partition.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Running Ubuntu, want to double memory - 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM

I did not use the Ubuntu versions from Dell, I used the ones from the Ubuntu repositories.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Running Ubuntu, want to double memory - 11-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
The version of Ubuntu Hardy that comes with the Mini has 2 issues at the moment.

1. The kernel can not see more than 1GB of RAM. This will be resolved when Dell puts a new kernel into their APT repository with support for "high memory."

2. You CAN'T upgrade to Intrepid from the version of Ubuntu installed on the Mini because Intrepid does not exist in the Dell APT repositories at this time and all the packages are compiled for LPIA (Low Power Intel Architecture). So you could not even use the regular Ubuntu repositories to do the update.

You can do a complete reinstall of Intrepid if you like. There are how-tos on this forum for getting the Ubuntu iso image on to a USB stick to do the install if you do not have a USB DVD to connect.

I would just stick with the version of the Mini. It works just fine with 1GB of RAM and is optimized to run on this platform
Thanks for the input. I running Freespire 2.0.8 on my desktop. I just got my Mini 9. Maybe next month I'll put Ubuntu 8.10 or Xandros Freespire 5 on it. Or I might leave it alone. Its working great. I ordered a 2 GB dimm from Crucial, but I'm in no hurry to rock the boat.

Bob

« Welcome to the forum! | Dell programs »