Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Installing vLited Vista on a Mini9 - 11-23-2008, 12:12 AM

Dracc: I posted pretty thorough information in the Vista section about what I did in vLite. I think the thread is called "Vista rocks...here's my setup" or something like that. Feel free to post questions on there and I'll help if I can. I like Vista more than XP, so I think I'm biased. I know there are plenty on this forum that would disagree, but if nothing else, I'd say XP and Vista perform very similarly. I'll be curious to hear your opinion once you have it up and running.

Good luck!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Gor my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Well, I'm running Vista on my 8-core machine, and it runs faster than XP on that particular set of hardware. (My desktop build log is located at http://www.overclock.net/amd-build-l...uild-tyan.html if you are interested) So yeah, my experience with Vista is that it actually sped up performance. Plus I like the directory structure and some of the other innovations.

However, if the performance isn't that much better than XP on the Mini 9, I was also considering using some carpc hacks to get my boot time down. With XP I can integrate some XPe features such as HORM, EWF, and MinLogin. How nice would it be to have your netbook booting into a useable Windows environment in 5 seconds?

If I go with the XP quickboot option, I'll write a tut as well. Unfortunately I can't try both as my access to an external ODD is very limited, and I can't afford to buy one at the moment. I might put a quickboot XP on a flash drive if I can find a spare one. Anyway I have a day or two to decide before I get an ODD, so I'll keep thinking on it.

PS.... I am definitely going to be remapping the ; to the ' key and vice versa. Who thought moving the ' and " to a hard to reach key was a good idea? It gets used so much more than : and ;

Plus I can probably swap the actual key as well as they look to be the same size.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Gor my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Dracc: Wow... that is all way beyond anything I've ever done, but it sure sounds interesting. Yes...tutorials please!

And Vista's boot time is kind of a drag, but it's only once a day I run into that. After that, I just put the computer to sleep, and it sleeps and wakes up very fast.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Gor my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-25-2008, 02:38 AM

Ubuntu working like a fast bunny for me....1 week now.

8.04 Dell installed.

Yeah baby.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Gor my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM

I'll definitely make a tut either way, since nLite and vLite can be rather daunting for first time users. In the meantime, feel free to check out mp3car.com to get an idea of what and how all of those quickboot mods are all about.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Got my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-28-2008, 04:09 AM

Well, I decided on a vLite Vista install. I've crafted my iso, so I'm to install it. Wish me luck, and if all goes well I'll get started ASAP on a full vLite guide(from installing vLite{which actually isn't so simple} and all the software you will need along the way, all the way to cleaning up after the final install)
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Got my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-28-2008, 05:38 AM

Good luck Dracc! Keep us posted, and yes! Post what you do and what works. That is what rocks about these kinds of forums: the free flow of info to give ideas and solve problems. And to think... in the olden days all they had was the corner dinner to do this at...

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Got my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-28-2008, 06:45 AM

Well, I'm using Vista Ultimate, and I got the iso down to 850MB, which isn't bad considering Ultimate has extra stuff in it. But... I removed the UAC which is proving to be a problem. The synaptic drivers require the UAC to be turned on in order to install it. The lack of the UAC also caused a few other drivers not to install via slipstreaming, but the others I manually installed without issues. Unfortunately I am not willing to live without synaptic's scrolling technology. Guess I get to go remake the ISO. Everything else worked just fine, and all other software seems to be running without issues. I guess I'll be back with another update in about 2-3 hours.

TIP: While removing the UAC is ok for some people... it seems we Mini users must leave it in!

Oh, and the system is much more stable, faster, and Runescape runs without issue.

UPDATE: Well, I rebuilt my iso, and now synaptic drivers are installed without a hitch... well one hitch. I had to use the M12 drivers because the M9 synaptic driver refused to execute under Vista. No big deal though, as it is functioning just fine.

This time my iso came in under 800MB, but I must have accidentally removed a vital networking component for the WLAN, because the device is working just fine, but I am unable to connect to wireless networks(last time it did this just fine, so it is a new issue with the new install)

One step forward... one step back. Could be worse I suppose. Of course my roommate is now using my desktop for some late night gaming, so I might not be able to work on a new iso till tommorow. Good news is, all of my changes in vLite stick around, so I just have to hunt for my mistake and fix it, then rebuild and burn and install. It is getting faster each time.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Got my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-29-2008, 04:58 AM

Dracc: I ran into the same issue with the Synaptics driver. I should update my vLite thread to reflect that. However, when I ran Dell's installer for the Mini 12 touchpad driver, the automatic installer didn't work. But, I went to the temp directory created for that driver install (in c:\dell\) and ran one of the other executables (wish I could remember which!) which installed the driver. I didn't realize it until I went to the mouse control panel and, lo and behold, there is the Dell tab with various options and scroll now works.

So, maybe give that a try with your original ISO.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Got my new Mini with Ubuntu... abysmally slow and unstable! - 11-29-2008, 12:29 PM

Well, everything is working now. The new version I cooked tonight seems to be the sweet spot. Looks like I accidentally removed a component that handled WLAN handshaking, but the description said WAN... Last I can recall, that meant Wide Area Network, but that might have changed since wireless networking is more common now. Anyway, this sort of trial and error is exactly what needs to be done in order to save less experienced users the hassle. I'll start on the tutorial tomorrow, as I need to get some sleep for work. Then we can move all this info over to the Vista forum where it belongs.

In the meantime, I want to cross check driver info with you, Jeff.

I slipstreamed the isolated drivers from your Vista thread. but the Video and Synaptic drivers won't install, so I used the M9 XP Video driver and the M12 Synaptic driver directly from Dell's site. I also have Bluetooth, but I chose to use the hacked drivers found here (http://mydellmini.com/forum/hacked-blue ... -t155.html), as it supposed to offer a performance boost.

Oh, and I have 5GB used with only Firefox installed. I have yet to run ccleaner, or do any other tidying, so we'll see how low I can get that. Looks like your install is smaller... but like I said, I am also using Ultimate, and have kept a few features that might not be necessary.

Update: I checked, and Ultimate does in fact carry about 1GB worth of extra features more than Home Premium. I could remove these features as well, so I might do one more build. Even so, I don't need to that to start on the tut.

« How to run Dell diagnostics from a USB stick | Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network »