Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default windows 7 and osx dual boot question - 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM

hi people,

i am very new to this forum and dell mini.

i am trying to install osx and windows 7 on to my new mini and i have few questions regarding the installation process.

1. transmac: i am writing the osx image to my usb thumb drive and it is going really slow. i had the process going for last 6 hours and it is at 32% as of now. is this normal?

2. since transmac is taking forever to write osx to my usb drive, i figure i would just install windows 7 play with my mini before osx install but when i try to install windows 7, i get gpt format error. i've followed all the diskpart instructions including 'Format fs=ntfs', 'Assign letter c'

eg. windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style.

3. cpu temp: i noticed my mini running really hot so i checked with core temp and it was close to 90c. is this normal? or did i do something stupid when i was installing 2gb ram and need to take this apart again.

thanks,
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 07-25-2009, 12:40 PM

90c is not normal, even though CoreTemp reads 20C high by default. I'm not familiar with the other things you're doing so can't comment on what is normal.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 12:50 PM

thanks steve for your input. i thought it was way too high. my desktop is running around 48c normally... what to do now.... hmm
  (#4) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 12:58 PM

anyone have any ideas to cool this down abit?
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 07-25-2009, 06:58 PM

You can't compare with a desktop processor. The Mini passively cools the chips and the heatsink is nowhere near as efficient as one in a desktop processor. That said, either the thermal pads between the aluminum plate under the keyboard and the chips are not making firm contact, or your CPU is working too hard.

You may find that elevating the bottom of the Mini to allow better air circulation helps.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 07-27-2009, 04:56 PM

You can put a book below to increase air circulation. Or buy a cooler for Laptops.

# Netbookfiles.com Your Netbook's Software and Driver Source!
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom View Post
1. transmac: i am writing the osx image to my usb thumb drive and it is going really slow. i had the process going for last 6 hours and it is at 32% as of now. is this normal?

2. since transmac is taking forever to write osx to my usb drive, i figure i would just install windows 7 play with my mini before osx install but when i try to install windows 7, i get gpt format error. i've followed all the diskpart instructions including 'Format fs=ntfs', 'Assign letter c'

eg. windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style.
For number one, I'd consider trying a new/different USB stick if you have access to one. There is no way it should take anywhere near that long if you're using USB 2.0.

For number two, if you follow the instructions exactly, you shouldn't have any issues. But, by skipping the OS X install, it's possible there may be some sort of issue related to that. Also, are you trying to install it to the correct partition?

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides

« New to the site... | Dell mini 9 vs 10v »