Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to dempa
Default Ordered Mini 10 - 07-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Hi, I'm new at forum;

Lenovo was messing with me and canceled my order of 10-2 so I turned to Dell and got inspired by the HD res screen. Ordered refurb red Mini 10 with this screen, 1.6Ghz, 6-cell and BT.

Maybe too late but I started to read around about choppy video playback and slow default XP. So, before anticipated delivery next week I have some Q's to be prepared for optimization:

What about the gfx - any special drivers or codecs recommended? The latest from Dell + ffdshow pack?
What to do with XP - do we have recommended deinstalltion list or should I use some supplied CD to reinstall basic XP?
Any good/cheap car chargers recommended?

Many thanks!

-Dennis
  (#2) Old

Default 07-24-2009, 03:26 PM

I'm new here too, but I'll attempt to answer what I can.

The Dell drivers are pretty much the only way to go in my experience as far as the video is concerned. Personally intels oem drivers wont even install for me, says I don't meet the system requirements.

On my desktop the CCCP codec package has proved to be the best on multiple fronts. Not only would it seem to be the most efficient, but it also provides for the best picture quality from what I can tell. It will come with a choice of 2 media players, personally I like MCP-HC as it's fairly light weight and simple. - Now on battery I do get a bit of lag currently - processor running at 700mhz just isn't enough to chew through some video I guess. On power it seems to be fine though.

I just reinstalled my OS, I REALLY didn't feel like trying to figure out what all clutter Dell stuck on here.

As far as the car charger goes, you can get an inverter from Wallmart for $20 - $30 that will allow you to use any standard American AC plug in your cars DC cig lighter. Very convenient.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to dempa
Default 07-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Thanks for quick reply!

I'll try CCCP and apparently need to find a hack to sometimes force CPU in 1.6Ghz mode even when running on battery?

Is the Mini supplied with software so I can reinstall without the crapware?

Great advice on the inverter.

I might be off topic here but any recommended software for converting my kids VCD and DVD movies to make it playable on a netbook like this mini?

Thanks!
  (#4) Old

Default 07-25-2009, 12:50 AM

The best freeware I've found for converting DVDs is DVD43 (handles the copy protection) and HandBrake. I use VLC media player for playback.
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 07-25-2009, 12:59 AM

The Windows Mini comes with a restore CD. My recollection is that it does not have the couple of preinstalled applications loaded.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« New to the forum! | DellEFIBootMaker question »