Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Installing SSD - 07-15-2009, 11:30 PM

Hello I have tried to install a new SSD card myself, but no success. Does anyone know of any stores where they can install the whole thing, reinstall the drivers etc... because I don't understand computers,lol thank you.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 07-16-2009, 12:53 AM

Which SSD did you buy? What part are you having trouble with?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 07-16-2009, 06:11 AM

Installing the SSD itself is easy, the hard part is installing the OS on the new one afterwards, at least if you don't have an external CD drive or ubuntu netbook remix. If you got the SSD in okay, then install the OS, then if it's Windows, install the drivers from the drivers and utilities disk that should have come with the system, or download them to a flash drive off the website from an internet-enabled machine.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
  (#4) Old

Default 07-16-2009, 02:53 PM

you might try looking on craigslist for a local outfit that would give you more individual attention. there's a lot of laid off IT workers out there doing contract work.
  (#5) Old

Default 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Holmes I bought a 32GB SSD from Newegg and it does not come with the USB cable. I using the cd that came with the computer that says "reinstalling OS" or something. I pressed 0 on the start up and choose to boot from external cd reader. After that I don't remember exactly what happened, but it gave me an error message. I tried installing a OS Microsoft professional cd I had instead and it did that ok, but when then I could not install the drivers because they are Microsoft Home edition compartible. I will try again later and let you know what the error message was...Thanks though.
  (#6) Old

Default 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM

Ok I already installed the OS on the computer , now for the Drivers and Utilities should I do the same process, press 0 and follow the steps? Please someone let me know. Also is the cd that comes with the Drivers a DVD rom?, because I only have an external CD-RW that does not read DVD I think. Please someone let me know if the same process goes for the drivers, thank you.
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 07-18-2009, 12:01 AM

I suggest that you download any additional drivers and utilities from the Dell web site. If necessary, do it from another PC and put the installers on a USB flash drive.

As far as I know, the CDs you get are a restore CD, which should have the drivers and some utilities preinstalled, and the webcam software CD. Once you have restored the OS, you don't need that CD again.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« updating 5530 firmware help | Dell Inspiron Mini 11? »