Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default ssd replacement - 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Please forgive what could be an obvious question for some of you, but I want to avoid any missteps. I have a mini9 that I ordered with a 32g ssd. Turns out it had a 16g ssd. Dell sent me the correct size ssd, that I will have to install. Exchanging the ssd seems easy enough, but will I have install the os on it? It doesn't come pre-installed on dell's ssd, (gawd, I feel such a dweeb even asking...) does it? Just for information's sake, I have Ubuntu... and right now, don't have an external cd player to load the software disc. I suspect I'll have to do that unless someone has another alternative. I do have other computers at home, if that would help. Thanks
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 07-15-2009, 09:26 PM

It's possible that Dell preinstalled Ubuntu on the new drive, but since it's easier to ship out a blank drive, I expect that's what you got.

Linux can be installed from any USB storage device: card reader, flash drive or hard drive. You don't need a USB optical drive.

You might even be able to install Linux off a SD card in the internal reader.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 07-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll install the ssd, check to see if the os was preinstalled, and if not, go the usb route.

« installing new operating systems on my insiron mini | Mini 9 & Mini 10 chargers »