Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default download problems - 07-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Hi

I am a beginners Ubuntu user and seem to be having problems installing software on my mini 10. I tried to install skype and got the following message:

dpkg - warning overriding problem because -- force enabled:
package architecture (1386) does not match system (lpia)
(reading database ... dpkg: error processing /home/dan/download/skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386(4).deb (--install):
files list file for package 'libxcb-shape)' is missing final newline

Can anyone tell me what that means! and how I can go about getting around the problem?

I also tried to install audacity and that also didn't work.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlyndon View Post
dpkg - warning overriding problem because -- force enabled:
package architecture (1386) does not match system (lpia)
Ubuntu can run on many different CPUs (32bit, 64bit, ARM, PowerPC, etc). However, software has to be compiled for each specific platform. For example, you can't run programs compiled for ARM on a Intel CPU.

LPIA is a pseudo-platform. It's still 32bit x86, but it's treated as a separate platform because it's optimized for low-power consumption.

So, that specific error message is from forcing the install of software for the "wrong" platform. But I don't know if it's the ultimate cause of the install failure. Try searching for LPIA and Skype, maybe someone else has info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlyndon View Post
I also tried to install audacity and that also didn't work.
Try installing audacity from the repositories. "sudo apt-get install audacity" in a terminal should do it. I'm not sure if it's available in the default Dell repos, but it's worth a try.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 07-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks reflex, i did try to install audacity using the repositories but still got the same response.

The thing which I am finding frustrating is that Ubuntu was preinstalled by Dell and the instant I try to download something it doesn't work. I know a bit about computers but because i have never used this OS before it takes forever to do something which would have taken seconds on my other pc.

Also how do I find out what version of ubuntu I have?

« vostroA90 vs 10v vs 10 | Question about 5530 WWAN card »