Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM

I apologize if this has been covered somwhere (I did try to search)...

If I already have a spare copy of Windows XP from an old computer, how big of a deal is it to buy a Mini 9 with Ubuntu to save a few $$ and then install XP? The intention would be to use XP only here and get rid of the Ubuntu in the process.

I intend on buying a refurb and upgrading the RAM to 2Mb and the SSD to 32Mb. So, saving a bit o cash on the up front purchase makes some sense unless there are drawbacks I am not aware of.

Former owner of... (sold through this site)
Dell Mini 9
Other Mods - 2Gb RAM, RunCore "64"Gb SSD, Dell Wireless 1505 b/g/n, Dell Bluetooth, US "Int'l" Keyboard
  (#2) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 11-20-2008, 10:51 AM

I see no foreseeable problem, there's no difference between the two shipped models.

I shall be trying out ubuntu on my XP version tonight.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 11-23-2008, 07:43 AM

That's what I did. Worked fine.

Matt || Inspiron Mini 9 || 2 GB G.Skill RAM || 16 GB SSD || Windows XP Pro SP3
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Me too, no problem whatsoever. This is the list of drivers that you need:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/inst...ation-t57.html
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 12-31-2008, 05:27 PM

I can't find the posting right now, but I seem to recall there being warranty issues if you do this. I searched the forums and can't find the post.. sorry

Jamie
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 12-31-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcashin
I can't find the posting right now, but I seem to recall there being warranty issues if you do this. I searched the forums and can't find the post.. sorry

Jamie

No, it shouldn't be a problem or else everyone that has a computer and has upgraded os would have void there warranty already. What you have in your HD has nothing to do with the hardware. So install whatever and when you need service you don't have to mention to them what OS You're running. goodluck!

I almost punch a guy at best buy so trying to tell me that I couldn't downgrade to windows xp from vista and that it would void my warranty. he also said that it would not work. The funny thing is that I had bought the same model a few days ago and had everything running on windows xp without any problems. Never believe what idiots tell you. I swear I hate best buy and I wont be going back anytime soon.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM

You'll have no issues running XP on your mini 9. I installed XP the day I got my mini 9 and I've had no issues with it since. Getting XP to install from a USB stick then to boot fromt he SSD was interesting though!

There's a lot of guides for this very things online and they helped me massively.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 01-02-2009, 02:24 PM

A couple of points from my experience going from Ubuntu to XP.

Had hard time getting XP to install - kept getting BSOD 7B. Some users suggested turning off "prevent executable" in bios. Ended up being able to install using a ris server. I seem to be a minority experiencing this BSOD install issue.

The other issue was trying to get my hands on the webcam application to control the webcam setting. This CD will not ship with Ubuntu version and can be a little tricky to find.

You might want to consider the smallest RAM config and upgrade to 2GB for XP

my 2c
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 01-02-2009, 02:35 PM

The only issue I had was that the XP install made it's boot.ini file to boot from the USB install stcik and not from the internal SSD. After a manual edit all is working though.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Any Issues Buying With Ubuntu and Then Installing XP? - 01-04-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcashin

Jamie

No, it shouldn't be a problem or else everyone that has a computer and has upgraded os would have void there warranty already. What you have in your HD has nothing to do with the hardware. .
I know that should be the case, but I read otherwise on here. The OP was called on the validity of his assertion though and the thread never went anywhere after that... so best to ignore what I previously wrote lest we... I mean I... perpetuate rumours!

Jamie

« Question about installing Windows XP | FILE TRANSFER »