Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Arrow How to install a 32 GB SSD??? - 07-03-2009, 02:14 AM

Hi guys, not very long ago I ordered a 32 GB SSD drive from mydigitaldiscount.com and I had to return it because I had problems with the instalation part, I am not sure I bought the right SSD either. Can anyone tell me exaclty what are the steps to install the SSD??... Once I install the chip do I have to reinstal the OS and how do I do this? I have never done this before, please someone help me. I already have an external CD/DVD reader in case I need to re-program the computer. Let me know what to do. Thank you so so so much...
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 07-03-2009, 02:33 AM

When you buy a new internal hard drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD), it's usually blank. So, you need to get an operating system (Windows, Ubuntu, Mac OSX, etc.) on it.

You can copy ALL the data from the old drive to the new. Which means your system will be exactly the same, only on a new drive. For more info, search for "drive image" or "clone".

You can also perform a fresh OS install on the new drive. If you have a USB CD/DVD reader and a OS installation disc, just load the disc, plug in the reader, and set the Mini to boot off CD (I think you press 0 (zero) at the Dell splash screen when powering up to access the boot device menu). Then follow the OS's installation process, it's usually straightforward.

The downside of a fresh install is that you'll need to install applications again and transfer data files over from the old drive. The upside is that you lose any old garbage accumulated on the old drive.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 07-03-2009, 09:18 PM

all right thank you so much, I will try doing that this time.

« Smallest office footprint for OSX? | Usb power consumption?? »