Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Video playback on 10v - 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM

I just ordered a mini 10v a couple of weeks ago and i am still waiting of course,anyway i have some digital copies of some blu ray movies i have bought recently and was wondering how well the mini 10v plays movies from the hard drive?
  (#2) Old

Default 07-01-2009, 02:47 AM

The Mini 10v can handle playing a movie just like any other computer. Because of its, low, processing power, you won't be able to play dozens of movies flawlessly right next to each other, but you can expect to see some good picture with no lag.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-01-2009, 11:02 AM

I've had some issues with some "movies". Seems to be resolution based. Also seems to be what OS I'm in as well. I watched an 800 MB 1.5 hour movie without issue, but it was choking on an 8 minute video clip. Could have been codec too, but the audio/video was out of sync.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old

Default 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks guys,i guess the only way to know for sure is to just try it right.lol.But i guess i asked because i am getting so impatient waiting for the damn thing to get here.
  (#5) Old

Default 07-13-2009, 11:25 PM

Well i finally got my mini and i had some movies here that came with a digital copy so i put them on the mini and it plays them back perfectly.The PQ is great and there are no stuttering at all and the processor runs between 40-45% will playing them so i am really happy about that.
  (#6) Old

Default 07-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Well i have been trying youtube videos and it plays them fine althought it uses alot of the processor to do it.Then i tryed playing videos off the g4tv website and it will play them but there is some stuttering and it goes 100% on the processor and i also played some podcast that i have on itunes and it struggled with them too,seems very strange because my ipod can play those videos without a problem.Looks like intel should stick with making cpu's and leave the gpu's to ATI and nividia.But overall i am still very happy with this netbook but i just think they should be able to play videos a little better considering how popular youtube and sites like that are.I never tryed hulu because unfortunatly we don't have access to that site in canada.
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94f1camaro View Post
Well i have been trying youtube videos and it plays them fine althought it uses alot of the processor to do it.Then i tryed playing videos off the g4tv website and it will play them but there is some stuttering and it goes 100% on the processor and i also played some podcast that i have on itunes and it struggled with them too,seems very strange because my ipod can play those videos without a problem.Looks like intel should stick with making cpu's and leave the gpu's to ATI and nividia.But overall i am still very happy with this netbook but i just think they should be able to play videos a little better considering how popular youtube and sites like that are.I never tryed hulu because unfortunatly we don't have access to that site in canada.
Your problems are due to poorly written software (Adobe Flash and iTunes). With decent software, the hardware can easily play DVD-resolution videos encoded with the demanding h.264 codec. 720p h.264 videos are more problematic, but they're watchable.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#8) Old

Default 07-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Your problems are due to poorly written software (Adobe Flash and iTunes). With decent software, the hardware can easily play DVD-resolution videos encoded with the demanding h.264 codec. 720p h.264 videos are more problematic, but they're watchable.
Yeah you make a good point,because those digital copy movies play perfectly and the PQ is excellent.
  (#9) Old

Default 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Here is the process I use for ripping / watching movies on my 10V. Bottom line, it is quite usable as a movie viewer (though maybe not quite as good as a dedicated portable DVD player). I rip to XVID AVI with MP3 for audio at the original movie resolution. The CPU utilization is about 20-25%. It is wonderful for watching movies on a plane, or in the car.

TomL, Mini 10v User
The Netbook Chronicles

« 10v upgrade SSD - SATA or SATA II? | just recieved my 1011! »