Alienware M11X Discussion on the Alienware Gaming Ultra Portable, the M11X.

(#1) Old
Default M11x Fan noise? - 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi guys
I am thinking of buying one of these lovely pieces of kit. I have one major thing which I look out for when I buy a new laptop, and it may sound weird, but that thing is fan noise. Loud fan noise drives me insane.Obviously I expect a bit of fan noise when gaming. But I am just wondering, when these things are just running regular programs - firefox, word, etc - what is the fan noise like? I have returned two HP laptops because the fan noise was just too much, even when they were just doing regular tasks like word processing or internet browsing.

(#2) Old
Default 04-06-2010, 08:03 PM

I just ordered my M11x a few days ago. However a friend of mine has one and the fan noise is not bad, especially when you are using the Intel video as opposed to the nVidia. I can hear it when he is playing games or doing something that pushes the system, but then it is still not bad. Obviously not as quiet as a Mini 9 or something that does not have a fan or regular hard drive.

XPS 13 Ultrabook
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Fan Noise... - 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM

One thing you might look at is PCWizard2009. You can view system temperature information within the sensors section of the program. You can view each CPU core's temp, the CPU sensor, motherboard, hard drive, and GPU as well. The fan definitely spins regularly when the nVidia card is in use. It's fairly loud, but as has been said elsewhere, I think the M11x is way overcooled being that it has the ULV CPU in it.

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#4) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM

I got mien from BestBuy and have been playing a few hours of WoW.
I have jet to get distracted by any fan noise.

I wish there was a plastic add-on for the bottom the give the keyboard a tilt like the 10v 6-cell batteries.

Mini 10v
  (#5) Old
Default 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM

I got one off ebay, 40-days new, screws never turned before I did
I left it on idle running messenger and skype, occasionally the fan run for 1min and remain silent for 10mins
i sleep with it on, 10cm next to me everyday

fan noise, m11x

« if you haven't heard... Best Buy and Micro Center carrys M11x - $899 + | Intel 5150 wimax / wifi »