3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old
Default GOBI - Dell 5600 - 05-13-2009, 04:34 AM

I've seen this card on other sites, and know that it works with Latitudes. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this in a Mini yet? Since this is a multi-mode card, it seems like a good investment, only $129 from Dell. It's the same type of card that's offered with the HP Mini, and looks promising.
  (#2) Old
Default GOBI/Dell 5600 - 06-16-2009, 01:24 AM

I'm afraid that Dell screwed this one up majorly. I ordered a 5600 for my Latitude D630c, which supports all other DELL mobile broadband cards, but this one didn't work.

- Even on a (slightly) older Latitude this card doesn't work as the drivers and provider firmware are locked to approx. 8 models in the E-Series/Precision workstation framework.

- The driver install works, but to use a GOBI card you have to load a provider firmware (so that the card knows what operator to associate to, and which radios (GSM/HSDPA or CDMA/EVDO) to enable, since the device can't enable both modes simultaneously.

- Dell blocks the firmware install for ANY Inspiron, and any Latitude or Precision pre-E.

I have successfully used the following cards on my D630c, D420, D430, and Mini 910 laptops:

Dell Wireless 5500 (AT&T/Cingular) (currently in my D420 & Mini 910)
Dell Wireless 5520 (AT&T) (Dead)
Dell Wireless 5530 (AT&T) (Currently in my D430)
Dell Wireless 5700 (Verizon) (Pulled but working - No Verizon Service)
Sierra 5775 (Sprint - Pulled from a Sierra 595U) - (Currently in my D630c)

So it seems that this GOBI card, thanks to Dell's firmware lock-out of anything not BRAND SPANKING NEW and outrageous, and only available to businesses, wont work on our minis, or anything else DELLs ever made, unless you sell everything you own, and buy an entirely new E-Series outfit, including new docking peripherals, AC adapters, etc. Hardly a worthwhile investment for a mobile broadband solution that WOULD OTHERWISE WORK in any of the laptops I own. Stupid Dell, if your warranty didn't rock, I'd dump you like an old girlfriend.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though - If we all wait until they release a MINI with it, or there's an Inspiron driver (like they did for the 5300 for the Mini) then we should get a more open platform on which to install the card on any Inspiron or Mini notebook (and who knows, maybe my D Series devices.

The issue for me is, I have a Sprint and AT&T account through work, so I wanted them both set up on one laptop, so that when I travel if I'm not in an ATT market, I can switch to Sprint, and vice versa. Oh well... More waiting for me.

Good luck!

« Mini 9/Ubuntu w. Verizon V640 (USB Adapter) NOT WORKING! | Will Dell Verizon 5720 card plug in to Mini 9? »