3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old
Default 3G Tethering on 3G modem? - 05-12-2009, 03:19 AM

i know this may be a stupid question but i was just wondering if there was anyway of tethering a 3G MODEM to a computer. i ask this because i only have the phone internet plan from AT&T but i do not have the 3G modem plan (which costs about 60 a month). is it possible to still use a 3G modem if i do not have the services for it, but a phone internet plan instead? i know that tethering has to do with a phone and a connectivity cable of some sort but i was just wondering if you can tether on a 3G modem the same way you tether on a 3G enabled phone. :|
  (#2) Old
Default 05-16-2009, 02:55 PM

The way I understand it is that when you tether your phone to your computer your are using it as a modem. If you had a modem, you shouldn't need to tether, just connect your modem to your computer. If you tether with your phone that might violate your TOS. When I was trying to tether my TMo service I checked HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource and found lots of answers.
  (#3) Old
Default 05-16-2009, 03:28 PM

not sure about att but i have sprint and i tether via bluetooth using osx. i paired my treo easy enough and was able to hit the internet off the bat but without sprint's phone as a modem plan you will be charged per kb. i priced the modem plans at 30 bucks extra with a 5gb cap. im guessing att may have something similar... if anyone knows a cheaper way with either, let me know... my sprint contract is up and im looking for options. wifi hotspots are few and far between sometimes...
  (#4) Old
Default 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM

my guess is they will know you've tethered and over charge you for kb.

i had att 3g usb port....it was built like junk, i also had their express card slot modem - it would get bumped and loose connection easily.

alternatively verizon's modem is built much better but seems just a hair slower.

i'd advise blocking texting and other stuff you dont need on your phone, take that money and get an $60 a month air card - you can text and ect. from it.
  (#5) Old
Question Which device? - 05-17-2009, 05:16 AM

The easiest way to give you good advice is to know exactly which phone you are using on AT&T. The options vary depending on the specific device you have. Let me know and I'll try and help out.

BTW, it's not a stupid question. The only stupid questions are the ones we already know the answers to.

« Traffic Counter - For those using Dial Up Networking for 3G | Anyone using other than AT$T or Sprint? »