3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to hitecdevil
Default [iphone 3g] gps tethering? - 04-20-2009, 08:47 PM

hello i wanted to ask if its possible to tether the iphone's 3g GPS signal? if yes what kind of software would i need on my osx mini 9?

thanks in advance!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: [iphone 3g] gps tethering? - 04-22-2009, 02:20 AM

its really easy. I do it all the time when I need internet in a pinch.

You'll need:

1) A Jailbroken iPhone w/ PDAnet (you can download it from Cydia)

Thats it!

Turn your Airports WiFi signal on in OS X, and select "Create Network..."

A new prompt comes up asking you to name your new wireless network. I usually pick something like "iPhone-Tether-3G" or something like that. Then left the channel to 11. Check "Require Password". (you dont HAVE to, but this would stop those others in your vicinity to connecting to your open WiFi network.)

I usually only pick a 40-bit WEP password mainly because I only use the 3G internet signal for a very short time anyway. Type and retype your password then click "OK".

Now --- go to your iPhone and tap "Settings" >> "WiFi" >> "ON"

Select the network you just created, and type in the password if you had one. It will connect at this moment, it might look like your still in "3G" mode since the icon might not change but not to worry keep going.

Then, go back to the Home Screen and tap "PDAnet" >> "Settings" >> "WiFi Router Mode" >> "Done".

PDAnet will then connect and you should be all set! Go to your Mini 9 and open up Safari and it will take you to your homepage.

Some quick notes you need to know. If you do not buy PDAnet then the trial version will only allow you to surf webpages, you wont be able to use other ports for things like AIM, Skype, etc.

Still, its better than nothing and if you like how easy it is, buy it. Im sure you'll be using it a lot. Just be careful as AT&T hasnt fully announced yet that you can use your iPhone for tethering purposes. So only use this for when you really need it.

(#3) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Wm.Mays
Default Re: [iphone 3g] gps tethering? - 04-22-2009, 03:14 AM

Sketchstudios has done a great job of explaining how to tether iPhone withPdaNet, and it works great, but not how to "tether GPS signal from iPhone". I don't know of any way to share the GPS signal from an iPhone. Anyone else have any ideas? The 5530 card has the ability to output GPS data, so try searching forums for more info.

MINI 9: Jade Green, RunCore 64GB SSD, Hyper-X 2GB RAM, Dell 5530 WWAN Card, Dell 1505 WiFi Card, Bluetooth 2.1, 1.3MP Webcam, Leopard 10.5.8 NBI 8.0.3 Final, BIOS A05
  (#4) Old
Default Re: [iphone 3g] gps tethering? - 04-24-2009, 02:16 AM

Oops! My mistake! I dont know what I was thinking. I'm not sure why I didnt see the GPS part of your post, I geuss I just saw the word "tether" and "iPhone" my mind assumed you were asking about Internet. Teaches me to read more slowly! :lol:

Anyway, as of now there is no *direct* way to tether the GPS signal that the iPhone gets *into* OSX.

However, where there is a will there is a way. An alternative would be to use an iPhone app like "GPSed" or some other GPS app where you can save/export/upload waypoints and the iPhones current location to either email, or a file, or something like that. So this way you might not have a "live" GPS location but at least you'll be able to transfer the location to your computer and then use those coordinates/waypoints to do whatever it is you wanted to do with them.

Hope this helps.

(#5) Old
Default 08-01-2009, 12:07 PM

the 5530 works with mappoint 2009 software
  (#6) Old
Default 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM

Just resurrecting this thread, as I'm looking for exactly the same - that is, being able to use the iPhone's GPS signal on a laptop.
Thought somebody might know if there's been any update since Jan 09? What with firmware upgrades, homebrew software, etc.
  (#7) Old
Default 03-26-2010, 04:18 PM

You may want to google Tomtom app for iphone. It is very good as I know, no need to tether gps at all.

Mini10v| 2GRAM| 160GB| BT(Added)| A05| QuadBoot(SnowLeopard10.6.2,WinXP.SP3,Ubuntu.Deskto p9.10,Moblin2.1)|
USB wake OFF, L support ON| NBI 8.2 -> NBI 083RC3 -> NBI 083RC4-> NBI 083Final
  (#8) Old
Default 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Thanks OmgFriday but I don't want a SatNav app!

I want to use GPS on my laptop for other purposes.

« Bluetooth and 3G mobile phone - Mac OS X 10.5.8 | HSDPA Network Settings in OSX »