3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#11) Old
Default Re: UK 3G provider for Mini running OSX? - 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Not sure how helpful my comments will be, but here goes.

Firstly, external dongles DO work with OSX. I have used Three and T-Mobile dongles with a couple of Mac laptops and also with my Mini 9 running OSX. For the Three modem, I used the instructions from their website initially (on my iBook) and just installed the same stuff on my Mini 9. For T-Mobile, it installed the software itself. So Mini 9 / OSX / 3G dongle definitely works for some telecos.

I have no experience with Vodafone, but I know that with Three there is no special "modem SIM" required. I just bought a standard PAYG SIM, stuck it in the modem, got 10 quid of credit and set it up through the Three website. I believe that my modem is locked to Three, so that's why I got a Three PAYG SIM.

I don't see that Vodafone would be any different. I would guess that you can just buy a standard Vodafone PAYG sim and then use that for 3G. However, I've got no experience in this.

Since it's really a 3G question rather than a Mini 9 question, why don't you head over to http://www.3g.co.uk and ask the question there? They will probably know more about the specifics than I do. That's where I found the answers I needed.

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS A05 | 16GB STEC SSD
  (#12) Old
Default Re: UK 3G provider for Mini running OSX? - 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info and the link!
  (#13) Old
Default 07-31-2009, 08:03 AM

i bought a vodafone mini 9 and have my t-mobile web'n'walk sim in it working fine under os x - as someone said, 2 instances of the modem appear in the network prefs, one worked, one didnt (so i removed it!) and i just used the modem script posted and it works fine i used the dellefi1.2a5 method, if you use netbookinstaller, wwan wont work (known bug)

Mini 9 | 16GB Runcore | 2GB RAM | OS X 10.5.8 | WWAN (T-Mobile UK)

Contributor to the NetbookInstaller project

« Mobile Capped at 5GB Per Month? How much data is that?Also How Fast is It. | Please use prefixes for provider discussion »