3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 Ubuntu with 3G modem - 03-05-2009, 10:01 AM

I plan to use a 3G huawei modem from vodafone (NOT the mini with internal 3G modem). I think its the E180

Betavine has loads of drivers:
https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_i ... ase_id=209

Does anyone know which is the best one ?

there are two categories, that could be relevant, ubuntu and dell mini ipia
within these two categories are two potential driver packages, ...connect_1.99.... and ...connect_svn....
thats a total of 4 potential drivers

Does anyone know the one to use ?

THANKS in advance
  (#2) Old
Default There is no need to download manually drive use Synaptic - 05-28-2009, 10:26 PM

Received my Mini 9 today with Ubuntu 8.04. I have a Vodafone PAYG broadband USB stick which has the Huawei Mobile Connect Model E160X hardware. I followed the instructions under :
Betavine - DellMini9 this used Synaptic as the software installer. After installing the Vodafone Mobile Client (VMC) Card Driver, the device was not recognised intially. Then I pulled the broadband USB stick out and re-inserted then it was detected as Huawei Model K3565 (rather than E150X which was what Windows XP detected it as). Ubuntu took a long time to initialise the settings and I had to cancel it once to start the application again. In the end the VMapplication fired up and picked up the following settings automatically after I selected the option of Vodafone PAYG Broadband (as opposed to Broadband Corporate and Broadband Contract which were the other two

Vodafone Broadband pre-paid:-
APN host : pp.internet
Username : web
Password : web
Preferred connection : 3G preferred.

Once the VMC application started and the 4 digit pin was entered. The connection to broadband was done. This is my first day using this. The Vodafone USB stick is not recognised as a device by Ubuntu everytime and the current success rate is 50% (usually pulling it out and re-insert and then start the VMC application it would be recognised.
If connection does nothing and you cannot connect by clicking on the "connect" button this may be due to the 4 digit PIN not being correctly entered. After a few attempts it will lock out and you will need to use The Vodafone Mobile Client on Windows XP to enter in the PUK code to unlock it. As soon as you insert the Dongle on USB port , Windows XP VMC would start up and ask for a PUK code. PUK code is found when you have an account set up with the Vodafone web site. The PUK code is in your account information for the relevant Vodafone Broadband USB dongle.

Dell Mini 9 -White- 2GB RAM; 8 GB SSD, Ubuntu 8.04, Wifi and Bluetooth

« Vodaphone problem with Ubuntu | Vodafone NL (and most likely most other carriers) »