3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default Vodafone's content transformation / image optimization - 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM

With Vodafone's USB dongle based wireless broadband services here in the UK, they have two technologies that can interfere with the content you receive.

The biggy for me is that images are given to you in a reduced form, pixellated/blocky/smudged, and to see the originals you have to keep refreshing the page. It is apparently possible to turn this off in the VMC software, but if you're not using that for whatever reason, it seems you're stuck.

Does this apply to the Vodafone Mini users too? I'd imagine it does. I got my mini (w/Ubuntu and planning to keep it that way for now) and was hoping I could just buy and plugin the USB dongle version of their service and all would be fine, but this image optimization stuff has been an instant turn-off. I wanted the dongle for the convenience of being able to use it in the house on my PC as well, should the wired broadband service go down for maintenance or outage, but now I'm feeling a little trapped and unsure what option to go for.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Vodafone's content transformation / image optimization - 01-19-2009, 02:56 PM

The optimisation is performed at network level so any Vodafone connection potentially will give you this issue although there were plans to gradually phase it out so you may notice sometimes you will suffer the effects and others you may not, this is as portions of the network are changed and some at this time remain unchanged.

« Anyone running a Sprint 597 | SIM card not detected? »