Dev Team has released Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5 â€” This updated version adds the ability to flash iPad 06.15 baseband on iPhone3G
. For now, it fetches the baseband files from Apple.
Today weâ€™re pleased to announce our free carrier unlock for iPhone3G/3GS owners with a baseband later than 05.13.04. The unlock for that baseband exploited the AT+XAPP command, thanks to a crash initially discovered by @sherif_hashim (@Oranav also found this crash). So what hole are we exploiting today, since Apple closed that AT+XAPP hole? Well, weâ€™re exploiting the exact same hole!**READ**
It turns out that the very first iPad firmware 3.2.2 has baseband version 06.15.00 still vulnerable to AT+XAPP. The iPad baseband is built for the exact same baseband chip as the iPhone3G/3GS â€” theyâ€™re fully compatible! Some of us have been running 06.15 for weeks now on our iPhones in preparation for this release. (And some have known about this possibility of 06.15 on the iPhones for a while â€” kudos to @w1kedZ and @DHowett for keeping it hush!)
WARNING â€” YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
Certainly donâ€™t update to 06.15 if you donâ€™t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and youâ€™re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and youâ€™re willing to assume the above risks.
- There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and thereâ€™s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. Youâ€™ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
- If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you wonâ€™t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldnâ€™t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
- Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you wonâ€™t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). Youâ€™ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if youâ€™re unlocker you should already be doing that).
SIMPLIFIED ROUTE #1 (redsn0w for OSX + Windows):
- Read and fully understand the warning
- If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and are already unlockable but want to get to 4.2.1, please wait til we release an â€śunofficialâ€ť bundle for you. Read no further.
- Use redsn0w (see update #2) for OSX or Windows. Enable the â€śInstall iPad basebandâ€ť option and accept the warning.
- When the redsn0w ramdisk is finished, install ultrasn0w via Cydia.
If you donâ€™t want to flash your baseband, you donâ€™t have to. You can jailbreak your device as normal. Same rules apply as Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 4.