3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before - I've searched around and can't find a solution.

I got a Dell Mini 9 from Vodafone UK when they were first released in October 2008. I'm very happy with it and find the built-in mobile broadband very useful. My Mini has the Dell 5530 HSDPA card installed.

I've read in various places that the 5530 card also supports GPS. I've seen lots of reports that there should be an extra port in Device Manager. However, I have never had the GPS port appear in my Device Manager.

It was never there with the original XP Home installation that the Mini came with. I have since installed XP Pro on the Mini on 2 seperate occasions and I have still not seen the port appear (or any 'unknown device' either).

Does the GPS functionality have to be enabled on the card or is there some other trick?

Hasn't really been an issue, as the GPS function was not advertised, but I'm going on a Cruise in the Summer and I quite like the idea of using the GPS onboard the ship to see where I am :-)

All help, gratefully received - thanks in advance.

Cheers

Phil
  (#2) Old

Default Re: No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM

Mine didn't show up either, but after a fresh install of xp and loading of the drivers and following the instructions in this thread,

dell-mini-5530-easy-gps-t2354.html

all now works fine.

Dave
Dell Mini 9|Black|32GB Runcore|2GB RAM|Dell 1505 b/g/n|Bluetooth|Dell 5530|16GB SDHC|Windows 7|Snow Leopard|
  (#3) Old

Default Re: No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the reply - I've tried the drivers listed in that thread already without any luck (on an existing install) - I'll try a fresh install later with those drivers.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM

No worries.

Took me best part of 2 months to get mine working. :roll:

Don't forget the the instructions for the hidden devices as well.

Dave
Dell Mini 9|Black|32GB Runcore|2GB RAM|Dell 1505 b/g/n|Bluetooth|Dell 5530|16GB SDHC|Windows 7|Snow Leopard|
  (#5) Old

Default Re: No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM

CRACKED IT!

Just got the GPS port on the mini working. Just used Autoroute to trace me walking down the road - worked very well :-)

Here is what I did:
Wiped the SSD
Installed XP Pro (using a cut-down version I made a few months ago using N-Lite, which contained the Video and Chipset drivers)
Once Windows was up and running, I went into Device Manager and double-clicked on the Question Mark listing for the 5530 Card.
I pointed windows to the drivers downloaded from http://usapilot.com/tmp/Dell_5530_GPS.zip
This started installing the drivers for the card, which then made windows detect all the sub-parts of the card.
For each one I pointed the the files above.
The VERY LAST part that Windows wanted to install was the GPS port :-) - using the above file it installed fine.
I then installed the Erricson Application from http://ftp.euro.dell.com/comm/DELL_WIRE ... 198215.EXE

Once everything was installed, I loaded up the wireless manager, went to the GPS section and switched it on - after a few minutes it locked onto my location.
I then installed Autoroute to check it was tracking me correctly, which is was.

I didn't need to display hidden drivers in device manager.

Thanks to CarolinaJones for pointing me in the direction of the GPS drivers mentioned above and to MiniDave for saying I'd get there in the end. It turns out I got there in a few hours.

It is really strange that this only worked after a fresh Windows install and using the drivers suggested by CarolinaJones and not the drivers from the Dell website.

Now to look at getting an SSD bigger than 8GB.....

Cheers

Phil
  (#6) Old

Default Re: No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Excellent....!

Walking down the street with Auto Route, that sounds familiar :lol:

As you mentioned Big up to CarolinaJones as I would still be struggling away with this one.

Dave
  (#7) Old

Default Re: No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Oh shucks!!! - Thanks Guys ...

I'm glad it worked out for you pob - Another satisfied customer ....

Caroline
  (#8) Old

Default Re: No GPS in Device Manager (Dell Mini 9 / 5530) - 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Hi,

I've been reading these forums on my Dell Mini for a while, thought the GPS commands to enable GPS on the Vodafone / Dell 5530 was great, but I'm using Windows 7 and I don't have Hyperterminal, so I wrote a small application in .NET to enable GPS from the desktop.

You can download at http://www.simply-sol.com/gpsswitch.zip

Just run the setup.exe file and It will install.

Comment and suggestions welcome.

Simon

« Huawei E172 | White screen after installing mc8775 (Solved) »