3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old
Default Swapping motherboard for 3G? - 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone may have done the swap and can give me a couple tips?

I've been reading the forum for months now and really thankful to those that have put so much energy into the community. Thanks.

I recently acquired a brand new Vostro A90 aaaaaannnd a used mini 9 that has the AT&T 3G slot and 5530 card on the motherboard running windows 7. I like the A90 and am running OSX 10.5.6 on it with a 32GB Runcore, 2mb Ram, Bios A04 and Dell EFI. (only issue is sleep)

I'm a newbie with the mini9 but fairly proficient with mods and making things. I want to cherrypick everything and build a nice little Macbook Mini (dual boot) with 3G.
I'm getting ready to swap out parts and wondering if there's anything I should know before going in?

The Vostro A90 is only days old and running Ubuntu and Bios A04. on the og SSD. I would rather keep the best of it's parts and looks.

Here's the question.
Can I just swap out the 3G motherboard and antennas in the lid and throw in a new 64gb Runcore with fresh Snow Leopard Install?

Anyone put an even better webcam in there bigger then 1.3mp?

Someone mentioned the palmrest needing to stay with the mobo or something like that for serial number purposes?

Any ideas would be helpful.
  (#2) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Wm.Mays
Default 02-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Easiest way would be to just swap the black a90 palmrest & LCD bezel over to the 9. As far as I know, the palmrest is not tied to the system in any way. The webcam will be easy to change while you're swapping the bezel.

MINI 9: Jade Green, RunCore 64GB SSD, Hyper-X 2GB RAM, Dell 5530 WWAN Card, Dell 1505 WiFi Card, Bluetooth 2.1, 1.3MP Webcam, Leopard 10.5.8 NBI 8.0.3 Final, BIOS A05

« WWAN - Flight Safe mode in OS X? | Unlimited 3G Broadband - TheDataJack.com »