3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default 5gig limit ? - 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM

I was recently made aware of this limit imposed upon the customers in the US who have service through AT&T,Verizon,Sprint and Cricket. Not sure about any other carrier but its true. Look at the fine print or call them up, Most will plainly admit its a restriction placed on the customers. Some will even disconnect your service if you exceed this. When did "unlimited" come to mean they can limit you and even DC you if you go over? If anybody has another solution to 3G that is truly unlimited and is affordable (less than $80 a month) please feel free to message me or reply here.

Dr Some-what Evil

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#2) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-22-2008, 04:50 PM

It's surprising these days what "unlimited" really means.

Excessive useage policies seem to allow companies to put limits on unlimited tariffs. In the UK most unlimited services on phones with relation to texting means a 1000 text limit. I'm on Vodafone's Wireless Internet, but they don't offer unlimited access.

I'd just shop around if I were you, look it up on Google. Sorry I'm not anymore help I'm unfamiliar with US mobile internet tariffs.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#3) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-23-2008, 06:42 AM

Verizon no longer advertises it as "unlimited," and nowhere in their ads does it say "unlimited." When it comes to WWAN access, the bandwidth is shared amongst the other users on your tower, so if everyone used it like people use their wireline connections (I used ~200GB last month) we'd all be going dial-up speeds. Unfortunately, I do not think there are any unlimited services left in the US.

The only thing I can suggest is to wait for 4G. Maybe we'll get 50GB, lol.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-23-2008, 10:23 PM

Unlimited is a marketing term. Always read the fine print, and some US carriers charge extra for going over the 5 GB limit. So watch out.

Heck I don't have unlimited anymore on my cable connection it has a cap now. That is so I don't download movies. It is funny the cap does not apply if I download movies from comcast movie service. Whatever.

Good luck.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-24-2008, 04:06 AM

Yeah, Luckily there are two types of Caps tho,

There is a soft CAP and a hard CAP on data with AT&T,

The soft cap means if you go over your limit they don't charge you the extra money for the data however after going over the data in 3 months one after the other then they send you a letter and terminate your service.

Then the hard cap is when they charge you if you go over and don't terminate you out.

It's crazy how the wireless carriers are doing this... and get away with this...
  (#6) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM

This is one of the few reasons why I wanted a small notebook/netbook to start with. To be able to use a wireless connection and DL whatever I wanted to for a fraction of the cost of my current satellite based system. Fortunately for me I choose the better of the two offered here. Wildblue is in my opinion only semi-decent internet service. I have their top rated package and still i get slowed down at times because I dont keep track of what Im watching from hulu or some other site that offers streaming video. Another reason i wanted it was because I previously had a HP Palmtop that started up instantly and I was thinking that since CPU speeds have gotten quicker Perhaps a netbook would have a fully functional OS and have similar start up speeds. Now all I am left with is the free wifi coming from local libraries here and even then the time allotted to connect might be limited. But I'll keep searching and see what else is offered as time goes on.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
  (#7) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-24-2008, 06:07 PM

I have had pretty much every Wireless Carrier, The best one of all is the AT&T one I have now, there are times I have actually gotten 2 MEG down!! I do a lot of movie watching and gaming and download myself so I usually go over the 5 gig cap.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-24-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital
I have had pretty much every Wireless Carrier, The best one of all is the AT&T one I have now, there are times I have actually gotten 2 MEG down!! I do a lot of movie watching and gaming and download myself so I usually go over the 5 gig cap.
:?: And you havent seen any slowdown or shut-off's as described above? I say your lucky 8-)

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
  (#9) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-28-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital
You should be looking forward to better speeds. Vodafone appears to be the best in the UK. Here's a speed test I did a minute ago:

Believe it or not, I topped 4 MEG from a train!

Vodafone claim that it is possible to hit the full 7.2 on their network but no one has ever reported doing so,.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: 5gig limit ? - 12-29-2008, 03:00 PM

I havent done any searches yet (just got home) but is Vodafone planning to come to the states? Its really crazy how some areas have excellent internet service from a mulitude of providers and other areas are left in dial-up hell. I was in the dial-up group until wildblue got their act together.... :roll: somewhat anyway. Id prefere cable over this anyday and if it can be had id love a 20 up 50 megs down Fios connection.....not going to happen here in my lifetime. Oh well, back to my dream of ruling the world :twisted:

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place

« Enabling WWAN | clearwire wimax »