3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-20-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm trying to determine if it would be better to get a mini with a dedicated WWAN card, or if I should get a PDA w/unlimited internet and tether it to the mini via bluetooth. Please let me know any opinions on this. Thanks.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-20-2008, 11:17 PM

i think its better to have it integrated.

i personnaly use my sonyericsson w880i via bluetooth but it does not support hsdpa.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-21-2008, 12:24 AM

Tether sucks big time for speed. No comparison.

That is what I have been doing for years, but will stop as soon as my antennae arrives.

Good luck.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Is anyone tethering with a 3G network? I'd imagine the speed shouldn't be much different. iPhone unlimited is like $30/month, while dedicated WWAN cards go for $60/month here in the US and most are limited to 5GB/month downloads.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-21-2008, 01:38 PM

Germany:

I have a 3G FairFlat that costs 30€ / Month with 10GB 3G included, if i go over that limit they reduce the speed to GPRS
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-21-2008, 05:16 PM

I would think it would be most economical to tether.. since you only have to pay for one plan.. but that's based on Canadas high data and plan rates.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte_this
Is anyone tethering with a 3G network? I'd imagine the speed shouldn't be much different. iPhone unlimited is like $30/month, while dedicated WWAN cards go for $60/month here in the US and most are limited to 5GB/month downloads.
To tether a computer to a phone on AT&T network costs $60/month also. I guess some folks tether and AT&T does not know about it. That is whole different discussion.

Later
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-25-2008, 08:27 AM

In my opinion WWAN cards are extremely pointless. Having to maintain a separate account for a functionality you carry around on your belt or in your pocket and already pay for is just plain silly. I have been doing tethered browsing, both wired and via BT, for years now and it works great for me. I have tested out at speedtest.net and have 1100kbps downloads over bluetooth and even higher on wired. That is more than sufficient for browsing the web and pulling down the occasional file. Streaming video is not a problem either.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 12-28-2008, 12:55 AM

If you have a PPC you can tether via wifi. I have gotten well over 1100kb. I have sustained 125KB from a newsgroup feed. Just some food for thought. Though it would be uber sweet to have a WWAN. Especially if you have a CDMA 3G provider since voice and data are not currently available.
  (#10) Old

Send a message via AIM to VinnyQH
Default Re: Better to get a WWAN card or to tether it to PDA/cell phone? - 01-20-2009, 03:54 AM

tethering is a good way to go, because you already have a pda and it's cheaper to tether. on the newest of verizon phones it is the same speed as an aircard when you tether with cable. when you tether with bluetooth thats when you see a slow down in speed.

« WWAN connector: check NOVATEL still lneeded | Dell Outelt comes with WAN Card? »