3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old
Default Working 5530 setups - 12-16-2009, 04:54 PM

Notice a few people have been issues with the 5530's that came as part of the free Vodafone offer Dell had on a few months ago.

As shown in a different thread I had some troubles getting the 3G Orange SIM out of my phone working and since then I have tried a Vodafone PAYG SIM with the same results.

With the PAYG SIM I can use the VMC software and connect quite happily. Using the same SE Connection Manager software I was using previously with the Vodafone SIM supplied by DELL I pick up the network but as soon as I try to connect I just get a connection failed message (same as I got with Orange)

I noticed that with the Vodafone PAYG SIM I was able to access the networks screen which I was unable to do with Orange. When I click retrieve networks I get the screenshot below which says that many operators are forbidden.

I know VMC is a bit of bloatware but trying to sift through the DELL site I found several different wireless managers but DELL being DELL link these to laptop models rather than modems so it is not 100% clear which of these are supported. Also the DELL software seems to go up to 400MB which seems a lot more bloated than the VMC software.

So there are several things at play here; provider, SIM type (my PAYG SIM does not behave the same as a contract SIM), connection manger.

Doing some digging around I noticed that VMC seems to just create two dial up connections. If this is the case is anyone just using dial up networking to connect?

Other than SMS would I really be loosing anything bypassing any connection manager at all? Presumably if GPS is there in the drivers the connections manager is not needed? Is there any software which will pick up the GPS signal?

What is the best way to connect?
Attached Thumbnails
vmc.JPG   connection.JPG   error.JPG   networks.JPG  
  (#2) Old
Default 12-19-2009, 11:27 AM

I have had no problems with both a T-Mobile UK Pay-monthly SIM (now) in the UK and a Comviq.se Pay-as-you-go SIM in Sweden (in September).

Both of them were running under OS X, with no connection manager other than that built into OS X, and with the modem script knocking around. This solution doesn't allow you to send/receive SMSs - so I keep the dongles hanging around (which do) if I need to do something with an SMS (some Pay-as-you-go set-ups use text to set-up your account)

Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 32GB Runcore SSD - OSX 10.5.8 - WWAN / WiFi / Bluetooth

« Which UK SIM cards work with 5530 card in 10v? | Clear WiMax Service Expanding Nov. 1st, 2009 »