3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#11) Old
Default 04-16-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by sgoldswo View Post
I've done some digging on this issue. It seems there is a general problem for the Ericsson f3507g modem (otherwise known as the Dell 5530)connecting to the Orange UK network.

I have a Dell Mini 10v with a Dell 5530 modem. I was sucessfully connecting to Orange UK for 2 months when sudden it stopped working in november 2009. I tried everything from disassembling the computer completely to reinstalling the OS (Windows 7) with no joy. I had assumed there was a problem with my set up or equipment. I even bought a second hand f3507 from ebay to try and resolve the issue. Oddly, if I used the dongle that came with the sim-card, I could connect to Orange.

I twigged there was something more complex going on when I tried to log on when the 3g reception dropped out one day (its always had 1-2 bars at my house) and I was able to successfully connect to Orange on GPRS. When 3G came back my connection dropped out again. I then tried Vodaphone and 3 sim cards and was able to succesfully connect to their respective 3G networks. Having isolated Orange's network as the problem I spoke to their technical support, who were surprisingly helpful.

Eventually they worked out there was an update to the SGSN settings on the Orange network in November 2009 which prevented certain Sony Ericsson phones (C905, w705 and w995) from connecting to Orange's 3G network. There has since been a firmware update for each of those phones to allow them to "talk" to the Orange UK 3G network. So I'm 99% sure its the same problem and what we need is a firmware update from Dell/Ericsson. I will get in touch with Dell Support this evening and will post back any positive results here.
And I have spend hours on the phone to them and always been told that couse 5530 is not supported by them they can not help me

I do not have Orange SIM card anymore, but has this been resolved yet?

« UK 3G in USA? | Where is a good source to purchase a 5530 WWAN Card? »