3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 11-29-2008, 05:05 PM

So annoyed that the WWAN connector isn't even soldered on to the board! They must really fear the clout of the mobile networks by forcing you to get a 3G/Dell Mini only from the networks. Grrr.

Anyway! Is it possible to remove the Wireless Card and put a WWAN card in there or do the UK Dell Mini 9's not have the antenna or SIM Card slot installed as well? :?: Mine is due this Tuesday and was hoping it would have been a simple upgrade.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 11-29-2008, 05:33 PM

(#3) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6TTR
a) if you are going to hopelessly flaunt your forum, you should atleast have the original blog posting linked in the hopeless attempt at a forum that you are hopelessly stealing things from to have a "mini 9 mods" forum.
b) why would you attempt to start a forum up when there is obviously a successful forum there already
c) free hosted forums suck.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 11-29-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe just me but that link doesn't display anything...is that your forum?

(#5) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 11-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somms
Quote:
Maybe just me but that link doesn't display anything...is that your forum?

It has a video from jkkmobile
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 11-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
Quote:
a) if you are going to hopelessly flaunt your forum, you should atleast have the original blog posting linked in the hopeless attempt at a forum that you are hopelessly stealing things from to have a "mini 9 mods" forum.
So how do you know it's his forum? He may have just found the video there, and is sharing it here.

Quote:
b) why would you attempt to start a forum up when there is obviously a successful forum there already
See above. Even so, there's nothing wrong with a little competition.

Quote:
So don't go to them. Others may feel that good information is good information, wherever it's posted.

~jeff
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 12-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Uhmm... that is NOT my forum so chill out. The guy asked a question and I forwarded a link I saw on the subject. Sheesh...

Scott-
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
Quote:
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM

Yes, jkkmobile has done this already. You need something like the Novatel EU850D that looks like this:

and has the SIM slot on the device itself. Check the dimensions or dig around on jkkmobile.com and make sure it fits. You'll obviously have to pull the hatch every time you want to take the SIM card out, which may be painful depending on how you use it (i.e. dedicated SIM card for WWAN vs. one shared with your phone).

jkk says these are being end-of-lifed soon though, so if they're compatible with your carrier, I'd order one quick.

See also: http://mydellmini.com/forum/integrat...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 12-28-2008, 01:16 AM

Is there no card that has both 3G and Wifi?
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card - 12-28-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfoot
Yes, jkkmobile has done this already. You need something like the Novatel EU850D that looks like this:

and has the SIM slot on the device itself. Check the dimensions or dig around on jkkmobile.com and make sure it fits. You'll obviously have to pull the hatch every time you want to take the SIM card out, which may be painful depending on how you use it (i.e. dedicated SIM card for WWAN vs. one shared with your phone).

jkk says these are being end-of-lifed soon though, so if they're compatible with your carrier, I'd order one quick.

See also: http://mydellmini.com/forum/integrat...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
I bought the same card on JKK's advice. That card with the mini 9's original wifi antenna work very poorly together. @ weeks ago I asked JKK where to get a better antenna twice and have yet to receive any answer....

All of my devices get 5 bars signal, my mini 9 with the wifi antenna gets 1 bar and suffers on download/upload because of it.

I asked Dell Canada to sell to me the WWAN antenna but they appear too ignorant to perform that simple task.

« Biggest Mistake Dell Made w/910 & A90 | Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US »