3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US - 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM

So at this point I'm getting tired of waiting for the 3G Mini 9 to hit the US. One of my friends is going to Europe soon and I was wondering if anyone know's how viable it is to get a vodafone one and then cancel the service and swap out the card for an AT&T or Sprint one or something. Does anyone here have experience with that?
  (#2) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US - 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Chances are, you'll have to pay off the whole contract which I guess will make it very un-cost-effective.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US - 11-27-2008, 04:49 PM

In Europe he's only available in the UK. Mini 9 is also available in Germany, but not with the Vodafone card.

When your friend wants to buy it in a shop, every Vodafone store can't sell the machine without a 2 years subscription.
After 2 days searching in Londen, I found mine on the Airport in the Dixons store.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US - 12-20-2008, 07:55 PM

He is now also available in the Netherlands (!) Not by Dell, but only in the Vodafone Stores!
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US - 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM

I got my mini 9 from Vodafone on contract. I have just reinstalled my Mini 9 from scratch to install XP pro and use it on my domain. One thing I did was to install the Erricson Wireless Manager rather than the Vodafone software. The vodafone SIM works fine and so do other SIM cards from other network providers. So I would expect that your plan would be technically possible, however I would agree that it is not cost effective as has been previously mentioned.

the contract for Vodafone is a minimum of 24 months @ £25, which totals up to £600 where as the hardware itself from Dell retails at £279 with XP.

Josh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US - 12-31-2008, 12:29 AM

Take a look at Cricket. they are somewhat new and only in slect US markets, but they are growing. Their attraction is the fact that they do not require contracts and the broadband cost is not as expensive as others... http://www.mycricket.com/broadband/

Edit - they are CDMA only. :shock:
No SIM card so no GSM/3G Mini 9 use. Bummer~

Scott-
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Bringing a Vodafone mini 9 to the US - 01-03-2009, 05:51 AM

I switched my at&t 9 to sprint with no trouble and sprint is CDMA so it should be no problem.

« Can I replace the Wireless card with a WWAN Card | Verizon USB UM175 on Dell Mini with Ubunti »